ProcessGordon Huether has spent his entire career in the field of public art and effective collaboration has been an essential ingredient for the timely completion and success of every one of his projects. He has extensive experience collaborating with project stakeholders, architects, community representatives, government agencies, and design and project teams.
Another hallmark of his work is the outstanding level of craftsmanship and oversight Gordon Huether Studio produces. GHS has the talented staff to provide in-house services from design to installation and we are proud to be recognized for delivering all projects on time and on budget, even within the most challenging timelines and circumstances.
PhilosophyGordon Huether believes that a public art installation should do more than simply enhance a space and direct viewers through their experience of the site. Truly successful and exceptional public art should make the viewer’s experience of the installation an adventure, a visually and emotionally engaging experience that not only defines the space, but also creates a unique, iconic and meaningful journey through the spirit, identity and culture of the site.
Huether’s methodology for conceptualizing and creating public art is centered on a desire to establish a “narrative of place” for every art installation. The underlying philosophy guiding all of his work is to connect and engage viewers by developing a story for the artwork through historic research, exploration of surrounding landscape and architecture, community collaboration and conversation.
Throughout our working relationship, Mr. Huether has exceeded my expectations, not only in creativity and innovation, but in the practical aspects of planning, fabricating, and installing large works of art integrated with complex building structures. Moreover, he is collaborative and sensitive to his client’s needs, adapting to change with grace and skill."
– Maureen Riley | Executive Director at the Salt Lake City International Airport
Gordon Huether has worked on many of my architectural designs. His work has enhanced the building designs resulting in publication of the buildings. Gordon is a unique artist and can work in many media. I have practiced architecture around the world for over 50 years and have never met an artist with as much creativity and ability to mold his work into its setting."
– Leason Pomeroy | President, LP3 architecture, Inc
I have had the opportunity to collaborate with a variety of artists over the years. On occasion, these individuals have profoundly enhanced the architecture as well as the public’s interaction with their work. Gordon Huether, is clearly one of these individuals.."
– Burke Cartwright | Salt Lake City, Utah - Design Principal with EDA Architects
I really love the piece. On sunny days, I sit out there and enjoy much-needed sunshine breaks. The smell of the cedars is still strong and really adds to the experience."
– Claire H. about 'Rostrum' | Manager of Cultural Development, White Rock, BC, Canada
Featured Public Art Installations
- Aluminum Yucca
- 2003 | Albuquerque, NM
- Arena Parking Garage
- 2006 | Stockton, CA
- Artesa Fountain
- 1999 | Napa, CA
- Aureole, Peoria Centennial Plaza
- 2013 | Peoria, AZ
- BART (Bay Area) Rapid Transit Installation
- 2002 | San Bruno, CA
- Rostrum, Miramar
- 2013 | White Rock, BC, Canada
- Over Houston, William P. Hobby Airport
- 2009 | Houston, TX
- Playground Fantástico
- 2002 | Napa, CA
- Fire Station #17
- 2008 | San Jose, CA
- Go, Go, Go, Foothills Recreation and Aquatic Center
- 2006 | Glendale, AZ
- 2009 | Arburg GmbH & Co. KG, Lossburg, Germany
- Gotta Go, Jacksonville International Airport
- 2008 | Jacksonville, FL
- The Great Wall, BioMarin Pharmaceutical
- 2005 | Novato, CA
- Hiroshige Art Museum
- 1997 | Tendo, Japan
- Historic Napa Mill Gateway
- 2013 | Napa River Front, CA
- The Bridge, Dallas Homeless Assistance Center
- 2008 | Dallas, TX
- O Wave
- 2009 | St. Petersburg, FL
- Issaquah Transit Center
- 2008 | Issaquah, WA
- Oakland Ferry Terminal at Jack London Square
- 2008 | Oakland, CA
- Mountain Range & River of Light, John Muir Medical Center
- 2010 | Walnut Creek, CA
- Jewish Community Center
- 1999 | Long Beach, CA
- LBJ School of Public Affairs
- 2010 | University of Texas, Austin, TX
- Lady Bird Mural, LBJ Presidential Library
- 2011 | Austin, TX
- Light Forest, El Camino Hospital
- 2010 | Mountain View, CA
- Tar Heel Blues, Lot 5 Project
- 2013 | Chapel Hill, NC
- The Canyon, Salt Lake City International Airport TRAX Station
- 2013 | Salt Lake City, UT